Senior Cup - Bolton

Robinsons Brewery Senior Cup

Bolton Wanderers 1-0 Manchester United


Written by Jordan Eyre

Match report

Kaiyne Woolery was the toast of the town after his second-half goal sent Bolton Wanderers into the final of the Robinsons Brewery Senior Cup, at the expense of holders Manchester United.

The striker latched onto a perfectly-weighted through ball from Quade Taylor, before chipping the onrushing Joel Pereira to settle the tie with the only goal of the game and set up a final with Manchester City.

Iain Brunskill’s side were resolute in defence and clinical where it mattered, as United surrendered the trophy they won so handsomely last year.

Under the watchful eye of first team manager Neil Lennon, the hosts enjoyed the better of the opening exchanges.

Luke Woodland had the best chance of the opening period, dragging his shot wide across the face of Pereira’s goal.

Andy Sellers also went close when he cut in from the left and unleashed a sumptuous strike that struck the bar and bounced over. Shortly after, Woolery found himself in space in the box but the striker’s shot was superbly saved by Pereira to keep the tie level.

Warren Joyce’s young side took time to get a foothold in the match, and when James Ball's free-kick whistled narrowly over the bar for the Trotters, the away side heeded their warning.

Andy Kellett, signed on loan from Bolton in January, found himself in a great position 12 yards out but he scuffed his left footed effort wide to let his permanent employers off the hook. Sean Goss came closer, with the central midfielder’s dipping free-kick forcing Harry Campbell into a terrific save.

George Iliev was presented with the clearest chance of the game with half an hour gone. United failed to clear Sellers’ corner from the right, and the ball eventually fell to Iliev who lashed his shot wide from a few yards out.

Callum Evans was introduced at half-time in place of Sadijk El-Fitouri, as United looked for a more attacking impetus after the break, but their early progress was swiftly cancelled out by a neat Bolton goal.

Taylor had the vision to slip through the lively Woolery, and the striker broke away before lifting a sublime effort over the onrushing Pereira to put the home side in front.

Joyce’s side seemed undeterred by their setback and continued to apply the pressure in an attempt to restore parity. Goss had their best chance of an equaliser, forcing Campbell into a save from 25 yards on the hour mark.

The game fast became a midfield battle, as United dominated possession in an attempt to break down a resolute Bolton backline. Clear chances were very much at a premium for either side, however, as the Red Devils failed to take any advantage of several opportunities from corners throughout the half.

Wanderers will now face Manchester City in a bid to lift the Robinsons Brewery Senior Cup trophy.


BOLTON WANDERERS: Campbell, Holding, Sellers, Taylor, Boben, White, Lester (Newby, 75), Woodland, Woolery, Iliev, Ball (Perry, 67).

MANCHESTER UNITED: Pereira, Love, Grimshaw, Thorpe, James, El-Fitouri (Evans, 45), Rothwell, Weir, Goss, Kellett, Fletcher (Willock, 67).

REFEREE: N Gibbons.