Stock photo of Hyde United's Ewen Fields ground.

Non-League Round-Up Easter Weekend

David Bates
A look back at how our non-league sides got on at the weekend.

The majority of our semi-professional clubs returned to action over the Easter break with double headers against local rivals. Although most games on Bank Holiday Monday fell foul to the wet weather.

click to find out more...

The Good Friday clash between MFA rivals Salford City and Curzon Ashton at the Peninsula Stadium saw the Ammies come out 2-1 winners.

After a goalless first half, Salford went ahead as Lois Maynard converted Emmanuel Dieseruvwe’s pull-back.

Jack Redshaw tapped in a second before Curzon’s Joe Guest headed home but it was nothing more than a consolation strike.

The adverse weather meant that both Salford and Curzon had their matches postponed against Southport and Alfreton Town respectively.

Salford are three points clear of Harrogate Town at the top, whilst the Nash lie just two points clear of the bottom three.

FC United of Manchester had a frustrating Easter period as they narrowly lost 1-0 to Leamington before their home clash with York City was postponed.

At the New Windmill Ground on Friday, FC United conceded on the brink of half-time as Jamie Hodd bundled the ball over the line for Leamington.

Dan Racchi was shown a second yellow card late on to worsen FC United’s afternoon.

Ashton United shared the points with Mickleover Sports in Saturday’s heated 1-1 draw in which three players were sent off at Hurst Cross.

Nic Evangelinos gave the Robins an early lead when he slotted past Lewis King, but Sports equalised via a header from Pablo Mills.

With 20 minutes remaining, Sports captain Jake Scott was shown a straight red card for his late tackle on Sam Sheridan.

However, Ashton then had two of their own players sent off as Jack Dyche produced a reckless challenge on Kevin Grocott before Khanye Makhosini picked up his second yellow card.

Ashton’s trip to Stalybridge Celtic on Monday also fell to the heavy rain; the MFA outfit remain in fourth. This fixture is now scheduled to take place on Tuesday 3 April.

Trafford shocked promotion-chasing Hyde United with a 1-0 win at Shawe View.

The hosts were awarded a penalty in the 81st minute when Lee Neville was brought down by Kyle Harrison. 

Danny Frost made no mistake from the spot and the North held out for a fantastic three points.

Trafford remain in sixth after their fixture away to Radcliffe Borough was postponed.

Mossley got off to a winning start under new joint managers Dave Wild and Terry Hincks as they beat Ramsbottom United 4-2 at the Harry Williams Riverside Stadium.

Mike Fish opened the scoring for the Lilywhites with a low finish, before Andy Keogh doubled their lead after rounding goalkeeper Sam Ashton.

Ramsbottom’s Dean Stott reduced the deficit just after the hour-mark with a powerful shot from 20 yards, but Jack Tuohy restored Mossley’s two-goal advantage just two minutes later.

Luke Jordan produced a neat finish to give the Rams renewed hope in the 70th minute.

However, a header from Tom Dean sealed the win for Mossley 16 minutes from time.

Their match at home to Glossop North End was then postponed due to a waterlogged pitch.

Droylsden came from behind to earn a 1-1 draw with Atherton Collieries as both sides ended with 10 men at the Butcher’s Arms Ground.

The Colls went ahead after 28 minutes as Liam O’Neill slid the ball past Ritchie Branagan.

However, the Bloods were level just before the interval when Luke Daly’s corner was headed in by Jacques Kpohomouh.

An off-the-ball incident between Atherton substitute Glen Matthews and Droylsden midfielder Daly saw both players shown red in the latter stages of the game.

Droylsden then travelled to Ewen Fields to face Hyde on Monday, but they suffered a 2-1 defeat.

Elliott Rokka squeezed the ball in from a tight angle to give the Tigers the lead.

Ciaran Kilheeney equalised 10 minutes later when he turned in Ben Barber’s cross at the back post.

However, the hosts were back in front shortly afterwards as Dominic Marie flicked on Janni Lipka’s free-kick into the far corner.

Abbey Hey gained a vital 4-0 victory over Barnton at Townfield to move six points clear from the relegation zone.

Goals from Andrew Smith, Lewis Haydock, Rob Swallow and Adam Farrand sent the Red Rebels on their way to a comfortable win.

West Didsbury & Chorlton edged past Charnock Richard 2-1 at Mossie Park.

Matt Eckersley’s goal for West was cancelled out by Carl Grimshaw’s strike.

Ashley Woods’ finish six minutes into the second half was good enough for the MFA side to claim all three points.

Maine Road and Squires Gate could not be separated as the sides drew 1-1 at Brantingham Road.

Gary Pett was on target for Gate, but Ben Davison’s goal salvaged a point for Road, who remain in the relegation zone.

Irlam’s away fixtures at AFC Darwen on Saturday and Abbey Hey on Monday were both postponed due to waterlogged pitches.

The other all-MFA clash between West Didsbury & Chorlton and Maine Road was also postponed.

A brace from Jack Turnbull helped Chadderton to a 2-0 win over Holker Old Boys at Rakesmoor Lane, before Chaddy’s fixture with New Mills fell to the rain.

Related News

View All