Stock photo of Hyde United's Ewen Fields ground.

Non-League Round-Up 24th Feb

David Bates
A look back at how our non-league sides got on at the weekend.
click to find out more...

FC United of Manchester suffered a narrow 1-0 loss to AFC Telford United at New Bucks Head.

John McAtee hit the winning goal in the 33rd minute as he beat Lloyd Allinson from 10 yards.

The result sees FC United slip to 18th place.

Curzon Ashton also dropped down the league as they were defeated 3-1 by Southport at Haig Avenue.

Matt Regan put the Nash ahead inside 14 minutes at the second time of asking after his initial header cannoned back off the post.

However, Elliot Osborne’s cross was diverted in by Jason Gilchrist as the Yellows equalised.

Southport went 2-1 up seven minutes later when a misplaced back pass from Curzon’s Danny Shaw went past the helpless Cameron Mason in goal.

The MFA side pushed for a draw but Osborne tapped home in second-half stoppage-time to secure the three points for Southport.

A frozen pitch at The Peninsula Stadium meant that promotion-chasing Salford City had their fixture with Tamworth was postponed.

Ashton United came from two goals down to earn a point against table-toppers Altrincham at Hurst Cross.

A penalty from John Johnston gave Altrincham the lead, but Ashton responded immediately as John Pritchard slid the ball past Tony Thompson a minute later.

Johnston curled home to restore Alty’s advantage before James Jones added a third after Dave Carnell failed to keep hold of James Poole’s corner.

Pritchard reduced the deficit with a superb free-kick 22 minutes from time.

The hosts completed a fine comeback when Matty Chadwick headed in with just a minute of the 90 remaining.

A stunning late strike from Danny Frost helped Trafford edge past Colne 1-0 at Shawe View.

With the game heading for a draw, Frost’s 85th-minute rocket from 25 yards ensured that the hosts claimed all three points.

Droylsden were condemned to a 4-0 loss by Tadcaster Albion at the i2i Stadium.

Josh Barrett headed the Brewers in front at the back post, before he blasted home from short range.

A curling free-kick from Billy Whitehouse made it 3-0 to the hosts.

The fourth goal came with four minutes to go as Chris Howarth was on target after a fine run down the right by Harry Sheppeard.

Mossley’s match with Clitheroe was postponed due to a frozen pitch.

Abbey Hey moved out of the bottom four as they drew 2-2 with MFA rivals West Didsbury & Chorlton.

Ash Woods opened the scoring for West, but goals from Rob Swallow and Peter Watling turned the match in Abbey Hey’s favour.

However, a late strike from Tom Bailey ensured that the points were shared.

This result, along with Maine Road’s 3-2 defeat at home to Burscough, means that Road slipped into the relegation zone.

Burscough went ahead through Terry Cummings before James Ormrod levelled.

Two goals in the space of eight minutes from Chad Whyte and Peter Henerty gave the Linnets a two-goal breathing space.

Sean Cookson brought one back for the MFA outfit, but it was not enough to prevent defeat.

Irlam fell to a dramatic 5-3 loss to AFC Darwen at Silver Street.

The Salmoners raced to a 3-0 advantage due to goals from John Leeming, Karl Turner and Ryan Steele.

Connor Martin and Isaac Illidge struck to bring Irlam back in the game.

Steele converted a penalty to add a fourth for Darwen, but the Mitchells did not lie down as Jordan Icely pulled one back.

However, Jack Prince sealed the win with a fifth goal with 13 minutes to spare.

Chadderton lost 3-1 to Whitchurch Alport at Yockings Park.

A brace from Aaron Johns meant that the hosts went into the break two goals to the good.

Jack O’Leary netted for Chaddy, but Ryan Thomas’ goal confirmed the win for Whitchurch.

Related News

View All