Stock photo of Hyde United's Ewen Fields ground.

Non-League Round-Up 10th March

David Bates
A look back at how our non-league sides got on at the weekend.

The majority of our semi-professional clubs returned to action following the postponement of all of last weekend’s fixtures due to the snow.


David Syers struck late on to condemn Curzon Ashton to a 1-0 loss at the hands of Darlington at Blackwell Meadows.

The Quakers snatched all three points with two minutes of the 90 remaining as Josh Gillies’ free-kick was met by Syers’ diving header.

The Nash remain in 17th place, just three points above the relegation zone.

FC United of Manchester were thumped 6-0 by Harrogate Town as former FC United midfielder George Thomson netted a hat-trick at Wetherby Road.

Jack Emmett slotted past Lloyd Allinson to open the scoring for Town, before Liam Kitching headed home Joe Leesley’s free-kick.

Thomson added a third before the interval as he fired into the bottom corner from outside the area.

The midfielder then netted from close range, and Jake Wright’s header made it 5-0.

FC United’s miserable afternoon was rounded off when Thompson sealed his hat-trick in stoppage-time, leaving the MFA side just one place above the bottom three.

The win for Harrogate moves them to the top of the table, leapfrogging Salford City, whose home fixture with Blyth Spartans was postponed due to a waterlogged pitch.

Ashton United moved up to third as they brushed aside Halesowen Town 3-0 at Hurst Cross.

Dean Smalley tapped in after Mark Lees’ low shot was parried by Dan Platt in the 21st minute.

Dan Mooney doubled Ashton’s advantage when he guided the ball home, before John Pritchard’s penalty sealed the victory.

Trafford shared the points with Skelmersdale United in an entertaining 2-2 draw at Shawe View.

Sean Miller’s ball was turned in by Aaron Burns as Trafford went ahead in the 30th minute.

However, the Skem levelled 11 minutes later when Jordan Darr volleyed past Grant Shenton.

Alastair Brown restored the North’s lead with a back-post header, but it was cancelled out by Phil Mooney who drilled home after Trafford failed to clear a corner.

Droylsden’s poor form continued as they lost 3-1 to Hyde United at the Butcher’s Arms Ground.

The Bloods took the lead through Jacques Kpohomouh’s fine volley from the edge of the area.

The second half saw Hyde respond in style with Karl Jones first placing his shot past Richie Branagan.

A brace from Max Leonard sealed the three points for the Tigers; his deflected effort was followed up by a late finish.

Mossley’s trip to Colne was postponed due to the heavy rain.

Two late goals from Tom Bailey helped West Didsbury & Chorlton to come from behind to beat Squires Gate 2-1 at School Road.

Gary Pett’s penalty gave Gate an early lead and it looked as if they would hold out for all three points.

With five minutes remaining, however, Bailey levelled before West were awarded an 89th-minute penalty.

Bailey stepped up and hit the target to give the MFA outfit an important three points.

Abbey Hey remain in trouble as they suffered a 3-1 loss to Congleton Town at the Richborough Estates Stadium.

An own-goal from Abbey Hey goalkeeper Ross Heywood was followed by strikes from Luke Edwards and Billy Hasler-Cregg as Congleton were three goals to the good after 77 minutes.

Rob Swallow struck four minutes later for the Red Rebels but it was too little too late.

Maine Road were thrashed 8-2 by Hanley Town at Brantingham Road.

Jack Coop’s brace was in vain for Road as they continue to be stuck in the relegation zone.

Theo Stair bagged a hat-trick, whilst Michael Conlon netted twice.

There were also goals from Neville Thompson and Dan Cope, as well as an own-goal.

Irlam were left frustrated as their clash with Padiham at Arbories Memorial Sports was postponed.

Jack Turnbull hit a hat-trick as Chadderton came from behind to salvage a thrilling 4-4 draw with Litherland REMYCA at Andrew Street.

The REMY took an early lead via Paul Foy, but Turnbull equalised for Chaddy.

Goals from Colin Quirk and Oscar Billington gave the visitors a two-goal lead, but it was halved by Turnbull in the 65th minute.

Connor Murphy added another for the Remy, yet Turnbull replied with a goal once more.

A late penalty from Aaron Scholes ensured that the points were shared.

Related News

View All