Stock photo of Hyde United's Ewen Fields ground.

Non-League Round-Up 17th March

David Bates
A look back at how our non-league sides got on at the weekend.

Salford City moved back to the top of the league following their 3-2 win over Spennymoor Town at The Peninsula Stadium.

Tom Walker’s corner was turned in by Carl Piergianni as the Ammies raced to an early lead, but it was soon cancelled out when Nathan Lowe’s free-kick was picked up by the wind and beat Salford stopper Max Crocombe.

The Moors then went in front as Ryan Hall finished off a fine counter attack.

However, two short-range Walker goals in the space of eight minutes ensured that the hosts turned the game back in their favour.

Harrogate Town’s 1-1 draw with Tamworth means that the Ammies have a two-point cushion at the top.

A fantastic comeback from FC United of Manchester earnt them a thrilling 4-4 draw with Boston United at York Street.

The Pilgrims took an early advantage via Reece Thompson, who coolly slotted past Lloyd Allinson inside three minutes.

Jamie McGuire’s deflected strike doubled Boston’s lead before Ashley Hemmings added a third with a penalty.

FC United began their comeback with a powerful strike from Craig Lindfield in the 52nd minute.

Jeff King tapped in to reduce the deficit to just one, but Hemmings netted his second for the hosts with a curling free-kick from a tight angle.

However, with two minutes of the 90 remaining, Gerard Garner looped his header home to give the MFA side renewed hope.

The comeback was complete in stoppage time when Lindfield dramatically nodded in from close range.

Curzon Ashton’s trip to Blyth Spartans was postponed due to a waterlogged pitch.

Josh Granite’s last-gasp header secured a 3-2 win for Ashton United over Stourbridge at the War Memorial Athletic Ground.

The Robins went ahead just before the break when Nic Evangelicos beat Matt Gould at the second time of asking.

However, Stourbridge levelled soon after, with Kaiman Anderson guiding Chris Gallagher’s cross into the net.

Evangelinos restored Ashton’s advantage in the 69th minute, but the Glassboys were awarded a penalty three minutes later and it was hammered home by Leon Broadhurst.

A stoppage-time corner from Ashton’s John Pritchard was headed home by Granite to give Ashton a dramatic win.

Trafford moved up into the play-off places with a narrow 1-0 victory over Tadcaster Albion at Shawe View.

Danny Frost’s 58th-minute strike was enough to see the North edge past their opponents.

Droylsden suffered a 3-1 loss to Prescot Cables at Butcher’s Arms Ground.

Chris Almond opened the scoring for the Tigers when he tucked the ball past Richie Branagan, but an own-goal from Valter Fernandes saw the Bloods level just before half-time.

Droylsden’s Shaquille Antoine-Clarke then turned a cross into his own net as Prescot regained their lead, before Josh Klein-Davies confirmed their win late on.

Heavy rain saw the fixture between Brighouse Town and Mossley postponed.

Irlam moved up to 18th with a 3-1 win against Ashton Athletic at Silver Street.

Matt Reed gave the away side an early lead, but goals from Haydn Foulds, Matty Boland and Dan Eyres meant that Irlam ran out 3-1 winners.

Maine Road remain in the bottom four as they conceded late to lose 1-0 to Northwich Victoria at Townfield.

Joe Whittington netted the game’s only goal in the 88th minute; Road are now three points adrift of safety.

Abbey Hey slipped below MFA rivals Irlam as they were defeated 3-1 by Squires Gate at the Abbey Stadium.

Isaac Sinclair and Deaning both scored to put Gate 2-0 ahead after 65 minutes.

Dan Heffernan’s strike gave the Red Rebels a glimmer of hope, but it was quickly quashed by Gate’s Ryan Charley.

Spencer Jordan hit a hat-trick as West Didsbury & Chorlton were thrashed 6-1 by Padiham at the Arbories Memorial Sports Ground.

Jordan’s three goals were backed up by Dom Craig’s brace and one from Aaron Fleming.

Ashley Woods was on target for West but it was no more than a consolation.

The fixture between Chadderton and Alsager Town was abandoned after 68 minutes due to a snow blizzard.

The game was level at 1-1 before the weather brought an end to the match.

Related News

View All