Stock photo of Hyde United's Ewen Fields ground.

Non-League Round-Up 24th March

David Bates
A look back at how our non-league sides got on at the weekend.

Salford City produced a remarkable comeback to earn a 4-4 draw with Kidderminster Harriers at Aggborough.

Emmanuel Sonupe opened the scoring for Kidderminster with an easy finish in the 21st minute, before Joe Ironside curled his shot past Salford goalkeeper Tim Erlandsson.

The Harriers extended their lead to four after 56 minutes as Lee Vaughan drove home and Dan Bradley slotted in. 

When Salford’s Josh Askew drilled in a low finish in the 81st minute, one would be forgiven for thinking of it as a consolation goal, but the Ammies continued to attack in what was a mesmerising end to the match.

Nick Haughton then reduced the deficit to two with a strike from outside the box, before Tom Walker’s corner was headed home by Emmanuel Dieseruvwe.

In the fifth and final minute of stoppage-time, the Ammies were awarded a penalty as Michael Nottingham was brought down by Kennedy Digie.

Walker stepped up to take it but his effort was parried by Brandon Hall, yet the Salford man was first to the rebound and made no mistake to secure a dramatic point.

Salford remain top of the National League North, although their lead was cut to one point by Harrogate Town.

Jeff King’s hat-trick helped FC United of Manchester to a comprehensive 4-0 win over nine-man Bradford Park Avenue at Broadhurst Park.

After a quiet start, the game sparked into life on the brink of half-time. First, the Avenue’s Matt Hill was shown a straight red for a strong challenge.

The resulting free-kick was rifled into the top corner by King, but it was to get worse for the visitors as Oliver Johnson was then dismissed in the third minute of first-half stoppage-time.

A deflected free-kick from King wrong-footed Ed Hall and went into the net as FC United doubled their advantage.

Gerard Garner added a third from close range, before King completed his hat-trick from the spot. 

Curzon Ashton
leapfrogged their opponents Tamworth with a 1-0 win at the Tameside Stadium.

Sam Walker fired past Jack Stevens eight minutes into the second half to give the Nash a crucial three points.

Walker did have the chance to add a second, but he missed a late penalty.

Ashton United came from behind to overcome Witton Albion 2-1 at Hurst Cross.

Steven Tames put Albion in front at the second time of asking on the hour-mark.

However, Deane Smalley equalised after the Robins had rattled the crossbar twice.

Ashton’s Jack Dyche then squeezed his effort in from the near post to ensure the MFA side remain in third place.

Trafford comfortably beat Ossett Town 3-0 at Ingfield.

Alastair Brown’s low drive gave Trafford the lead inside 23 minute.

Darius Palma hit a superb curling strike, before Aaron Burns sealed the victory just eight minutes later.

Droylsden’s miserable run of form continued as they lost 3-1 to Prescot Cables at Volair Park.

Baba Conte headed home early on and Chris Almond netted into an open goal as the Tigers went into the break two to the good.

James Edgar added a third shortly after the break, before Liam Caddick pulled one back for Droylsden but it was too little too late.

Mossley suffered a 4-1 defeat to Ossett Albion at Seel Park.

The Lilywhites went ahead via a Tom Dean penalty, but a header from Adam Priestley ensured that the sides were level at the interval.

Priestley doubled his tally in the 50th minute, before Aidan Chippendale’s clever finish made it 3-1 to the Unicorns.

Priestley rounded off his hat-trick late on as he stroked the ball in after rounding Max Povey.

Matty Boland claimed a hat-trick as Irlam moved up to 17th with an important 4-1 win over Northwich Victoria at Townfield.

Boland opened his account for the afternoon in the 30th minute, with Marcus Perry doubling Irlam’s lead in the early stages of the second half.

Boland was on target with his 77th-minute penalty, before he struck again soon after.

A late goal from John Bennett prevented the MFA side from a clean sheet.

Maine Road also picked up a vital three points in the scrap for survival as they beat Barnoldswick Town 4-2 at West Close Road.

Two quick goals from Jonathan Mason put Road into an early position of control, but Town responded with Aron Hollindrake and Zack Dale both scoring. 

However, a late brace from Jack Coop restored Road’s two-goal lead.

Despite the win, Road remain in the relegation zone.

West Didsbury & Chorlton edged past Congleton Town 2-1 at Brookburn Road.

Congleton’s David Short broke the deadlock in the 11th minute, but goals from Ben Steer and Joe Shaw turned the game in West’s favour.

Mark Reed’s second-half strike condemned Abbey Hey to a narrow 1-0 loss to Runcorn Town at the Pavilions Sports Complex.

Chadderton shared the points with Alsager Town in a 2-2 draw at the Wood Park Stadium.

An unfortunate own-goal from Alsager goalkeeper James Coates saw Chadderton take an early lead.

It did not take long for the Bullets to reply, though, as Taylor Attrell found the back of the net nine minutes later.

Ryan Shenton struck as Chaddy regained their advantage, but Dave Harry levelled to earn a point for Alsager.

Related News

View All