MATCH REPORT: Manchester FA v Liverpool CFA

Daniel Amaro
An inspired Manchester FA put 5 past Liverpool CFA to reach the FA County Youth Cup Final.

A sunny Ewen Fields played host to the FA County Youth Cup semi-final on Saturday where a dominant Manchester FA took on Liverpool CFA, coming into the match after a convincing 4-2 victory over Berks and Bucks FA earlier in the month. Liverpool CFA had advanced into the semi-final with a narrow 2-1 victory over Amateur Football Alliance in the quarter-final stage.

The first half got underway with a high-pressing Liverpool team, which quickly proved costly as Manchester FA’s Anointed Chukwu picked up the ball from his own half way and slipped the ball through to Douglas James Taylor, giving Manchester FA the upper hand within the opening minutes of the game.

Another quick goal followed, as Chukwu was again found from a right-wing cross, picking the ball out of a scramble in the box to make it 2-0.

Liverpool CFA proved their tough grit to work their way into the Manchester box soon after, but the safe hands of George Neave kept the ball out of the net. Manchester FA immediately responded, as Clayton Gorman put away a 3rd for Manchester FA at the other end of the pitch, with a close-range strike.

Manchester FA continued to put pressure on the Liverpool CFA defence, resulting in the away team giving Manchester FA a penalty in the final minutes of the half. Chukwu stepped up and slotted home a superb finish, beating the keeper to the bottom right corner putting Manchester FA 4-0 up as they headed in for the half-time break. 

Cruising with a dominant lead, Manchester FA came out in the second half with the same momentum, seeing Chukwu securing his hat trick within the opening 10 minutes with another bottom right finish for the home team. Manchester FA continued to control the game, with a beautifully-struck free kick that rattled the crossbar the pick of the home team’s chances as the final minutes approached.

A strong performance was reflected in the end score, finishing 5-0 thanks to standout performances by Chukwu and Taylor, with some excellent saves by MFA’s goal keeper George Neave.

The dominant performance secured Manchester FA’s place in the final of the FA County Youth Cup, where either Cheshire FA or Norfolk FA will stand in the way of the trophy.

Further details will be shared on the final in the coming weeks.