Egerton FC win the title

Match Report: Saturday Challenge Trophy

Egerton lift the Manchester FA Saturday Challenge Trophy

The Manchester FA’s Saturday Challenge Trophy Final between Abacus Media FC and Egerton FC took place on 25th February at Ewen Field.

Egerton FC came flying out of the blocks, getting their nose in front soon after the kickoff. Milan Thompson’s attempt of a long-range shot just outside the 18-yard box, although it wasn’t the sweetest strike, found the back of the net. Abacus Media FC began to grow into the contest and had their chances to level the game, but Egerton FC maintained their one goal advantage until the whistle for half time.

The second half did not disappoint the fans as it was once again an action packed 45 minutes. Abacus Media FC, in the attempt to pull off a comeback, pushed hard in the beginning minutes of the second half, but their efforts were slightly off the target. Egerton FC also looked threatening on the counterattack, effectively using their full backs for overlaps. It wasn’t long until Egerton FC doubled their lead after Abacus Media FC, in the attempt to stop a counterattack, conceded a free kick on the left side of the 18-yard box. Freekick taken by Remmi Williams rolled into the net after a goalkeeping error from Nick Bradley.

With a comfortable 2-0 lead, Egerton FC slowed down the tempo of the game and towards the end of the game, a red card was shown to Abacus Media FC’s Jack Aubrey. With a man down, Abacus Media FC could not do much until the final whistle. In the end, Egerton FC was the victorious side, crowned as Manchester FA’s Saturday Challenge Trophy winners. Ladi Oseni from Egerton FC was awarded the ‘Player of the Match’ trophy by Colin Bridgford, Chief Executive Officer of the Manchester FA.

Manchester FA would like to take this opportunity to thank all the fans, players, and referees for their contributions to the event.

Check our the images of the night with special thanks to Chris Dyson below:


Related Match Reports

View All